Some chess stuff
- This is the specification of the Polyglot
opening book format. This is the most widely understood non-proprietary
opening book format. It is at least understood by Polyglot, Fruit, Toga,
Glaurung, Hamsters, Mediocre, TwistedLogic, jose-chess and the latest versions of Scid. I am providing this specification
in the hope that other programs will also use this book format. UPDATE: Polyglot books are now also understood by Winboard/Xboard 4.3.15.
- This is a proposal for adding a header to Polyglot books in an extensible and backwards compatible way. Here is a utility
for handling such headers.
- A new version of icsdrone (called icsdroneng). It has a number of new features (such as
feedback on tell commands). It is not quite finished (and perhaps never will be)
but nonetheless rather useful. It is used by a number of bots on FICS.
Update: the latest versions of icsdroneng are now available on sourceforge.
- I made an attempt to transform GNU Chess
5.07 into a modern chess engine, both on Windows, Linux and
Android. It now supports UCI and polyglot books as well as Gaviota
Table Bases. Meanwhile the Free Software Foundation has released
GNU Chess 6 which is really a rebranded
2.1. Ironically the latest descendant of GNU Chess 5.07
GNU Chess 5.50) with its ancient code base is about 120 elo stronger than
GNU Chess 6!
- Here is a little python script that may help you to design truncated sequential likelihood ratio tests. I derived
myself. Hopefully they are correct (I did do a few sanity checks on their validity).
- Posix ports of recent versions of Toga II. They have been reported to work on Linux, MACOSX and BSD.
- An Android version of Toga 1.4.1SE. This is a raw binary which needs a GUI (see below). Source code: Toga141SE-android.tar.gz. The only change is that this version of Toga loads the Scorpio bitbases probing dll egbbso.so from
the current directory, rather than from the bitbases directory (presumably the bitbases will be located on external storage).
- An Android version of RobboLito 0.085g3l. This is a raw binary which needs a GUI (see below). Source code: robbolito-android.tar.gz. This is basically a quick
and dirty modification of the original source. Since I don't know ARM assembler, I simply replaced the assembler instructions by
Ucibench. A small benchmarking utility for uci engines.
- This is a new version of Polyglot 1.4w10 which can be used as a book engine for Polyglot books on UCI GUIs (like ChessBase). This new version
also has support for the new "cores", "memory" and "egtpath nalimov" commands in the
winboard protocol. See here for a description of what these commands
are supposed to do.
michel (dot sign) vandenbergh (at sign) uhasselt (dot sign) be